Neck pain is one of the most prevailing musculoskeletal problems affecting 30% – 50% of the adult population annually. Neck pain can start mildly as a minor annoyance and become chronic or progress into headaches, debilitating pain, and eventually weakness, tingling, and numbness when left untreated. Thankfully, you don’t need to continue living with pain. We offer chiropractic care in Indian Land and Fort Mill, SC, to provide a lasting solution to your neck pain.
In this piece, we will discuss the causes of neck pain, how chiropractic treatment can help, when to seek chiropractic help, and what to expect with chiropractic care for neck pain.
Causes of neck pain
Various factors can cause neck pain. These may include:
- Poor sleeping posture, such as sleeping on your stomach with your head twisted to one side for extended periods
- Poor posture, joint irritation, and muscle spasms
- Chronic postural stress due to head flexion from long periods of time spent on the computer
- Trauma from sports injuries, falls, or whiplash injuries in car accidents
- Stress and physical strain (such as a stiff neck from overexerting your neck muscles with strenuous activities or repetitive actions)
- Degenerative disorders such as cervical disc herniations, spinal stenosis, cervical disc degeneration, and osteoarthritis
- Other health conditions such as meningitis, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, bone spurs, and vertebrae fractures
When should I be concerned about neck pain?
You should consult your Indian Land chiropractor if your neck pain worsens or interferes with your work or daily activities. In rare cases, the pain can signify a medical emergency. Seek immediate treatment if:
- You have neck pain along with tingling or numbness in your shoulders, arms, hands, or legs.
- You develop neck pain after an accident.
- You experience a loss of bladder or bowel control with neck pain.
- You have neck pain with a stiff neck.
- You’re vomiting, feeling dizzy, have blurred vision, feel nauseated, or have a headache along with neck pain.
- You’re experiencing neck pain with weakness in your legs or a loss of coordination in your legs or arms.
- The neck pain persists even after taking pain medications.
- The neck pain has not improved after a week.
- You have neck pain with unexplained weight loss, fever, or chills.
How can a chiropractor (or chiropractic care) help?
Neck pain is caused by various factors, which your chiropractors are trained to understand, diagnose, and treat. In addition, chiropractors provide a non-surgical treatment option (chiropractic neck adjustments) that can help relieve your pain and related symptoms.
These chiropractic neck adjustments will correct your joint restrictions or misalignments in your spine to reduce inflammation and improve the affected joint and associated nerve function. This improvement in your neck’s body mechanics will help relieve the pain and improve the overall function and mobility of your neck and upper back region.
Moreover, the methods employed by chiropractors do not require medications or surgeries, which often come with harmful side effects. Chiropractors focus on the whole body rather than just your specific symptoms. They will educate you on lifestyle goals, stress management, and nutrition in addition to treating your neck pain. That is why chiropractic care is safe and provides lasting neck pain relief compared to other pain treatments or management strategies.
What to expect during a chiropractic office visit
When you visit our chiropractic office in Indian Land, SC, our chiropractors will evaluate your entire spine. Sometimes, other spine regions may also be affected. We will conduct a thorough physical examination and may order imaging tests like MRIs, CT scans, or X-rays to diagnose the exact cause of your neck pain. We will also check your past medical history and rule out any conditions that require surgery.
After unraveling the real cause of your neck pain and determining if you’re a good candidate for chiropractic care, we will create a customized treatment plan to bring you out of pain. Your treatment may involve one or more innovative approaches like deep tissue laser therapy, chiropractic adjustment, massage therapy, and muscle stimulation. Chiropractic treatments are painless, so you won’t have to dread visiting your Indian Land chiropractic office.
How to prevent neck pain
The following tips can help you prevent or relieve neck pain:
- Maintain good body posture by wearing a headset, using an ergonomic mouse, and typing with a laptop stand to keep your posture upright
- Avoid strenuous physical activities that can strain your neck muscles or cause neck pain
- Place ice or heat packs on the affected area to relieve the pain
- Quit smoking because it can slow down your healing and damage your bone structure
- Lose weight if you’re overweight or obese
- Walk, exercise, meditate, try a yoga class, or get a massage to lower your stress level
- Do gentle stretches or exercises that strengthen your shoulders and neck muscles
We offer the best chiropractic treatment for neck pain in Indian Land and Fort Mill, SC
If you’re looking for the best and most affordable chiropractic care for neck pain in Indian Land and Fort Mill, SC, Carolina Chiropractic & Wellness is your go-to practice. We are available 6 days a week, accept most insurances, and offer various chiropractic services with a fantastic massage therapist who will bring you out of pain.
Our chiropractors, Dr. Cooper, and Dr. Patrick, have a combined 60+ years of experience and a shared passion for helping you stay active, pain-free, and healthy. We can customize your treatment plan with nutritional guidance, exercise routines, and specific techniques to help relieve stress, neck pain, and other conditions. Schedule your appointment today or call (803) 548-8452 to find out how we can help you. We hope to see you soon!